Monday, February 7, 2011

Grammar test

Name:                                                     
Year and Section:                                               
Date:

 
 

By taking this grammar-based test you can obtain an approximate rating of your English language skills.

1. Simon .... very tall.
 is
 are
 has

2. She .... like football very much.
 don't
 doesn't
 hasn't

3. How .... does one lesson cost?
 many
 much
 is

4. There .... a big supermarket next to my house.
 is
 are
 have

5. I .... agree with you.
 doesn't
 haven't
 don't

6. Neil can't .... tennis. He's broken his arm.
 to play
 playing
 play

7. .... some more tea?
 Would you like
 Do you like
 You'd like

8. Last week we .... to Warsaw.
 go
 went
 goes

9. I .... the film we saw at the cinema on Wednesday.
 doesn't like
 haven't liked
 didn't like

10. Magda .... in England for her holiday last year.
 was
 were
 is

11. My mother .... never been to a cricket match.
 hadn't
 haven't
 has




12. Joanna .... her new mobile phone.
 is losing
 loses
 has lost

13. .... ever seen a comet?
 Did you
 Have you
 Do you

14. If I were rich, I .... buy a huge farm in Somerset.
 will
 shall
 would

15. They .... pass their exam if they studied hard.
 would
 will
 did

16. I wish I .... play a musical instrument.
 can
 could
 should

17. When Gregory arrived at the disco, Hania ..... .
 already left
 has already left
 had already left



18. If I ..... on holiday to Poland, I wouldn't have met Donata.
 didn't go
 haven't gone
 hadn't gone

19. By the time you get this letter I .... .
 will have left
 am going to leave
 would leave

20. A: What are you doing tonight? B: I'm not sure, I .... to the cinema.
 will go
 would go
 might go

21. Simon forgot .... the lights before he left.
 turn off
 turning off
 to turn off

22. It's no use .... to him. He doesn't listen.
 to speak
 spoke
 speaking

23. Karla was offered the job .... having poor qualifications.
 despite
 although
 even though



24. The offer was too good for David to turn .... .
 off
 down
 away

25. Eric's father ordered him .... out late again.
 not to stay
 not stay
 not staying

26. If only I .... to the barbecue instead of staying at home.
 went
 had gone
 did go

27. Not only ..... to London but she also visited many other places in England.
 she went
 went she
 did she go

28. My sister ..... regretted turning down the chance of studying at the Teacher Training College in Gorzów.
 entirely
 bitterly
 absolutely

29. Now remember, you ..... the test until the teacher tells you to.
 are not starting
 are not to start
 haven't started



30. ...She wasn't ...... to reach the ceiling.
 tall enough
 so tall
 as tall

31. He was thought .... the disease in Hong Kong.
 to catch
 catching
 to have caught

32. My flat .... as soon as possible. It's in an awful state.
 needs redecorating
 to redecorate
 redecorated

33. He eventually managed .... the door by kicking it hard.
 open
 opening
 to open

34. There's no point .... staying up all night if your exam is tomorrow.
 on
 with
 in

35. Rarely .... meat.
 I eat
 do I eat
 I have eaten